Last year holiday season I have to organize a party for my friends at my place but I have not found any space inside my home then I thought I can organize the party to my workshop shed there is enough space for my friends to enjoy the party. But there is a problem it was not enough warm to spend some quality time with my friends. Then I thought I have to purchase the best heater for my shed to make it a comfortable space.
I have tested various options available in the market and found some great heaters for heating the shed. I have mentioned all the cheap and best effective electric and propane heaters available in the market in this post.
However, before buying a heater for your shed, there are lots of factors to put into consideration. Once you’re positive about these factors you’re on your way to buying the best heater for your shed that will fit into your needs.
Let’s start right away with the factors to consider before going into the best heater for a shed review.
My Top 3 Heater Picks For Sheds
Types Of Heater
There are a lot of different types of heaters are available in the market which you can purchase but I will only discuss the heaters which are the best for garage or workshop shed use. So you have to decide what type will work best for your shed and your needs.
Different types of heaters have different options and components such as heating elements, temperature range, efficiency, the expense of running and maintaining, and safety levels. Let’s look at the all heaters.
- Halogen Heaters – Halogen heaters are used in a wide variety of applications, and more specifically to provide a heated gas for use in processes such as drying, curing, and the like. As is well known, halogen heaters have a number of desirable characteristics such as low operating temperature, high thermal efficiency, and the ability to operate on both liquids and gases. In particular, halogen heaters are used extensively in the semiconductor industry for the curing of photoresists and other types of coating materials.
- Propane Heaters – Propane heaters are an efficient and cost-effective way to heat your shed. If you have a fireplace, consider installing a propane heater to warm the room or the entire house. Propane heaters come in many different styles, from electric models to propane-fueled models. There are also models that use both gas and electricity. Some heaters can be used with any type of fuel source, while others require natural gas.
- Natural Gas Heater – A natural gas heater or natural gas furnace is a heating system that uses a fuel such as natural gas to heat an enclosed space. Natural gas is a fossil fuel that is widely used for home heating and space heating. The term natural gas heater is also used for the part of the system which heats air, whereas the term natural gas furnace is used for the part of the system which heats water.
- Convection Heaters – Convection heaters are used for a variety of applications, including heating water for household use and the like. Such heaters conventionally comprise a base having a fluid inlet through which water is admitted to a chamber defined by the heater, and a water outlet through which water is discharged from the chamber. A tubular heating element is mounted within the chamber, typically near the base. The tubular heating element is connected at its ends to a pair of electrodes.
- Kerosene Heaters – They are one of the oldest types of heating used in households. They use kerosene as a fuel and thus are considered to be inexpensive. The kerosene is burnt inside a metal container that heats up. Kerosene heaters are widely used in rural areas because they can be operated without electricity or gas. Kerosene heaters are used for cooking, drying clothes, warming rooms and as space heaters.
- Electric Heaters – It is also a great option to heat the shed because they come in both a wall mount and an under-the-counter design, which means you can put it wherever is most convenient.
- Pellet stoves – A pellet stove is a wood-burning stove that uses a mixture of sawdust and other fuels to provide heat for cooking, space heating, and drying. Pellet stoves are generally used indoors in winter because of their high efficiency. A pellet stove can be fueled with either wood pellets or natural gas.
You can get a range of different options when it comes to choosing the best heater for a shed. However, there are some key things that you will want to look for before you buy. These will help you to make sure that you are getting the best heater for your needs.
Best Heater For A Shed: Comparison Chart
5 Best Shed Heaters Reviews In 2022
These are my personal picks for the best shed heaters right now. You’ve to purchase the right heater according to your personal preferences. The best heaters will depend on the user preferences, and what type of shed you have.
1. Best Space Heater For Shed: DIMPLEX DGWH4031G Garage and Shop Large 4000 Watt Forced Air, Space Heater in, Gray/Black Finish
- POWERFUL: Durable 4,000 watt, stainless steel heating element and a high-performance motor deliver reliable comfort. Includes a six foot long cord with NEMA plug for quick connection to a 240 volt (20 amp) receptacle.
- DURABLE: Our electric heater is designed with heavy gauge steel treated with epoxy powder-coated finish to provide longevity and corrosion resistance
- ADJUSTABLE: Includes bracket that allows ceiling or wall-mounting, plus swivel and pivot to direct heat where it is most needed
- SAFE: This heater includes an automatic overheat protection to ensure safe operation
- CONTROL: Made with thermostat control and fan delay to use residual heat after the element shuts off
When I was looking for the best space heater for my workshop shed, I found the DIMPLEX DGWH4031G is definitely one of the best options available.
The DIMPLEX DGWH4031G is a powerful and durable electric heater that can easily heat up to a whopping 4,000 watts of space in my shed. It has a high-quality motor that provides long-lasting performance, and a durable stainless steel heating element that won’t break or corrode over time.
This electric heater is designed to heat up large spaces and it can reach a temperature of up to 120°F. With a six-foot-long cord and NEMA plug for quick connection to a 240 volt (20 amp) receptacle, it can be used in both indoor and outdoor applications. The unit can be installed on the floor, wall, or ceiling and moved to direct heating exactly where you needed it.
This heater also includes automatic overheat protection that shuts the unit down when it reaches its maximum temperature, so you won’t have to worry about accidentally burning your garage or shop. The DIMPLEX DGWH4031G comes with thermostat control for accurate temperature settings, and it also has a fan delay to allow residual heat to keep your garage warm after the heater has shut off.
This space heater is very durable, and it should last for many years in your garage or shop. It’s made from heavy-gauge steel treated with an epoxy powder-coated finish, which makes it resistant to corrosion and weathering. This is a great option if you’re looking for a heater that will last for years without breaking or cracking.
Why You Should Consider This Heater?
- Tip over protection
- Automatic overheat protection
- Adjustable thermostat
- 4000wattage/13648 BTUs heat output
- Automatic temperature control from 45 to 77°F
- Fan delay uses residual heat for economical performance
- Versatile installation. Can be attached to floor, wall, or ceiling with included mounted bracket, heater swivels to direct heat.
As of the time of writing this review, there are over 712 customer reviews on Amazon, with the majority being happy and positive about this excellent product – click here to read them.
2. Best Propane Heater For Shed: Mr. Heater Corporation F299720 Vent-Free 20,000 BTU Blue Flame Propane Heater, Multi
- 20,000 BTU Liquid Propane heater to heat spaces up to 700 square feet
- Blue flame burner for even convection heat. Run Time (Hrs at Max BTU)- 21.59. Fuel Consumption/Burn Rate (Gal/Hr)- .926 lbs/hr
- Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS). CSA Certified
- Operating this heater at altitudes over 4,500 FT above sea level could cause pilot/ODS to shutdown the heater.
- Theromostat, legs and wall mounting hardware included
The Mr. Heater Corporation’s 20,000 BTU Blue Flame Propane Heater is a great product that can heat spaces up to 700 square feet, and it comes with a heater that runs for up to 21 hours on a single tank of propane.
This is an amazing heater that comes with a blue flame burner, which means you can really enjoy the radiant heat it creates in your space. This is a great heater to use if you have a smaller living space as it won’t be too loud and it also uses less fuel.
It’s also equipped with an automatic low oxygen shut-off system that will automatically shut off when there’s not enough oxygen in the air, so you don’t need to worry about any accidents happening. You can run this heater safely even at altitudes over 4,500 feet above sea level.
It comes with legs, a thermostat, and wall mounting hardware, so you can mount this heater easily on your walls or even your ceiling if you want. It’s easy to install and you can even run it manually if you want.
If you’re looking for a great heater that’s energy-efficient and won’t break the bank, then this is the heater for you. Buy it today!
This heater is a great option if you’re looking for an efficient heater that is easy to use indoor and outdoor conditions, affordable, and long-lasting. It’s one of the best-selling models in the industry, so it’s definitely worth checking out.
Why You Should Consider This Heater?
- It is approved for indoor/outdoor use.
- Can heats up 700sq.ft, up to 20000BTU
- Auto thermal shut off switch.
- Multiple settings and steady temperature.
- It uses propane, which can be found everywhere.
- No fear of power outage.
- Oxygen depletion sensor.
- Ideal for small and medium sheds/spaces.
- It is versatile and easy to install & use.
- It pumps out tremendous heat and is very durable.
As of the time of writing this review, there are over 1360 customer reviews on Amazon, with the majority being happy and positive about this excellent product – click here to read them.
3. Shed Heater With Thermostat: Bio Green PAL 2.0/USDT Palma Greenhouse Heater incl. Digital Thermostat
- Easily heats spaces up to 120 ft. ² ideal for greenhouse heating, sheds, store room, garage, milk-house
- With digital summer/winter thermostat (110 V) UL - Approved and external sensor cable to measure the ambient temperature in the greenhouse.
- Stainless Steel housing, Floor-Standing greenhouse heater with display x4 splash-proof
- Stainless Steel heat elements - engineered in Germany for greenhouse heating use
- 5118 BTU/ 1500 W heating output - durable fan with bearings made for humit environments
- Very inexpensive to operate
Bio Green PAL 2.0/USDT is a great greenhouse heater that can be easily used in your greenhouse or even in your shed. It has a very simple design that allows you to easily install it yourself, and it’s very easy to operatable too. You can connect it to your electricity grid, or even solar power, and you’ll still be able to keep a comfortable indoor temperature.
It’s the perfect pick for people who want to get their greenhouse heated quickly and cheaply. It is an effective greenhouse heater that delivers an impressive amount of heat, and it has a maximum heating output of 5118 BTU/ 1500W.
The heater has a fan and heat elements to circulate the air, so it can heat up a large space quickly. The digital thermostat allows you to set the temperature between 60°F – 95°F, so you can easily control the amount of heat you want inside.
In addition to heating the space, the PAL also has a digital summer/winter thermostat that allows you to easily regulate the temperature. This unit comes with a stainless steel housing and heat elements that are durable, and it’s easy to clean. You can easily replace them if they get damaged. One of the best things about this greenhouse heater is that it’s extremely inexpensive to operate.
This will take up to 15 hours to warm up your greenhouse to your desired indoor temperature, and it’ll use less than 15 watts of electricity per hour. It’ll even run on battery power too, so you won’t have to worry about draining your battery. If you’re looking for a reliable greenhouse heater that’s very affordable to operate, then this is a great option.
Bio Green Pal is the best choice for people who are looking to buy a Shed Heater With Thermostat I would definitely recommend it.
Why You Should Consider This Heater?
- 1500watt/5118BTUs of heat output
- Rugged construction body
- Adjustment range -50 to +90°C (-58 to 210.2°F)
- Spray water proof IP X4
- 2 ft cable length cord
- Ideal small rooms where spaces are needed
- It is energy efficient
- Light and easy to carry
- 0A maximum power consumption
As of the time of writing this review, there are over 1051 customer reviews on Amazon, with the majority being happy and positive about this excellent product – click here to read them.
4. Best Electric Heater For Outdoor Shed: DeLonghi Oil Filled Radiator Space Heater
- LOWER ENERGY BILLS: By heating only the room you’re in, you can lower your household thermostat and lower your energy bills
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Only De’Longhi has patented SmartSnap pre-assembled wheels that require no assembly and make it easy to move from room to room
- COMFORT TEMP TECHNOLOGY: Cuts your costs by automatically maintaining the optimal temperature and power settings
- MAINTENANCE-FREE SYSTEM: The oil system is permanently sealed, so you never need to worry about refilling the heater
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings
- Power Source Type: Corded-Electric
- STAY COZY AND SAVE ENERGY. Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win
The De’Longhi Comfort Temp Full Room Radiant Heater is the best heating solution that I have found in my research thus far. This product is made by a well-known company, and it’s been around for quite some time.
It has an energy efficiency rating of 14.4 W/sq ft, which is pretty impressive considering that other heating systems can only reach up to 7 W/sq ft.
The system uses a “SmartSnap” system, so you don’t need any assembly – you simply roll it out of the box and put it in place. It also has an oil-filled system, so you don’t need to worry about refilling or maintaining it. The system automatically maintains the optimal temperature and power settings to make sure that your room stays cozy all day long.
De’Longhi has also patented this technology, and they call it the “Comfort Temp”. This means that you don’t have to worry about accidentally adjusting the temperature too high or low, and you won’t have to spend a lot of money on additional heating costs because you can lower your thermostat and cut down on your energy bills.
If you want to keep the temperature stable in your room, you can adjust the heat settings from 2-8 different levels. It will help you save energy as well as money because you can lower your thermostat without the risk of overheating.
This product is very easy to use, so you don’t need any experience with installing a heater. You can simply put it in place, turn it on, and you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of a cozy room in no time. I’ve been using it for about 3 months now and it works just fine. I would recommend it to anyone who needs a heating solution that’s easy to install and maintain.
Why You Should Consider DeLonghi Oil Filled Radiator Space Heater?
- It is very quiet in operation and maintenance-free.
- Ideal for Large sheds or central heating.
- Easy to install and use. Just fix the caster wheels and plug in a socket, push the power button and there you bid icy toes and frosty fingertips goodbye.
- Wheels for easy transportation from one place to another.
- Lowers your energy bills.
- Adjustable thermostat and thermal shut off.
- It has multiple settings and pumps out tremendous heat.
- Safe for a home with children/pets.
- Anti-freezing settings.
- 3-years manufacturer warranty.
As of the time of writing this review, there are over 1,905 customer reviews on Amazon, with the majority being happy and positive about this excellent product – click here to read them.
5. Best Heater For Insulated Shed: Stiebel Eltron 074057 240-Volt 2000 -Watts Wall Mounted Electric Fan Heater
- Surface mount design
- Quality construction
- Quiet operation
- Built in thermostat for maximum comfort
- Reliable performance
CK Heaters are known for their high-quality heaters that are perfect for small spaces like sheds. It’s one of the best options available today, with its even heating design and silent operation. It’s also made in Germany, so you know you’re getting quality.
The Stiebel Eltron 074057 240-Volt 2000-Watts Heater heats your shed quickly and efficiently. This is the best fan blown heater for shed because It comes with a fan, a thermostat, and remote control for easy use. You can even set it up to heat the shed automatically.
The unit is capable of raising the temperature by over 5°F, and it delivers a total of 2000 watts of heat. This means that it’s capable of delivering more heat than most other systems out there.
It is very easy to install and use but it does not come with a power cord, you have to buy it yourself. This unit features a wall-mounted design that complements any décor in your space. It has a compact design that fits anywhere and the downdraft design eliminates the cold floor.
It comes with a built-in thermostat for easy heat adjustment, and it has a frost protection setting for when it’s cold outside. If you’re looking for a quality heater that won’t break the bank, then buy the Stiebel Eltron 074057 240-Volt 2000-Watts Heater.
Why You Should Consider This Heater?
- No need looking for space, it is wall mounted.
- It has a sleek design to fit in any décor.
- It has a built-in thermostat for maximum comfort.
- It is very quiet – that means you can sleep, meditate, read and do other activities without disturbance.
- Quality construction and does not get too hot.
- 3-year limited warranty.
As of the time of writing this review, there are over 443 customer reviews on Amazon, with the majority being happy and positive about this excellent product – click here to read them.
Factors To Consider Before Buying Heater For A Shed
Buying a heater for a shed is not an easy task. In fact, there are many things that you have to consider before you buy one. Here are some of the factors that you should look into before buying a heater for your shed. The first thing that you need to know about buying a heater for a shed is that you have to find a heating system that will meet all of your needs. I have considered all these factors before I made this list.
Is Your Shed Insulated?
Looking for the best heater for a shed? Then ask yourself first if the shed you’re buying the heater for is insulated or not. Insulated sheds are best to heat up quickly and keep warm. Secondly, insulated sheds help you to reduce running or heating costs.
But if your shed is not insulated, make sure you insulate it first before considering getting a good heater. The non-insulated shed will cost you twice the cost of the insulated shed. Heating uninsulated shed is futile so don’t even try giving a headache.
How Much Space Do You Want Heat?
Do not just buy a heater because you want to combat cold and frost in a shed, no, you may end up wasting your hard-earned dollars. Knowing the size area of your shed in square feet is very important.
This will help you know the exact type of heater that can heat up your shed and how many BTUs are needed to heat up your shed per hour if you’re going propane or kerosene heaters but if you’re going electric heaters knowing the BTU’s may not be necessary.
Where Will You Install The Heater?
Now that you have known how much space you’re heating up, the next factor is where exactly do you want to install the heater? On a wall?, Floor?, Freestanding? or on a ceiling?
Depending on the size of your shed, if your shed is small you may opt-in for wall and ceiling mounted heaters but if you have a large shed you can buy floor mounted or free-standing heaters like oil-filled radiators because of more advantages over other heaters.
Oil radiators have caster wheels and handle that make their transportation from one room to another room very easy and less stressful.
What Type of Heating Method Do You Want in Your Heater?
There are two categories of heaters in the market, and they are forced air heaters and radiant heaters. So you need to consider if you will like heaters that pump out by forced air method or heaters that give out heat through radiation?
Forced air heaters like fan heaters, oil-filled heaters, convection heaters suck in cold air across a heated space and blow out warm air across, warming up the entire space/shed.
On the other hand, Radiant heaters like infrared heaters and quartz heaters work like sunlight by heating the object/individual directly.
Do You Need Electricity In Your Shed?
Having electricity in your shed is paramount because electric powered heaters are safer and cheaper to use especially over Propane heaters. Furthermore, if you have electricity in your shed that is not enough you need to know if you have 110 or 220 volts services.
Sheds wired for 220 volts can support larger and commercial heaters, and they’re ideal for people that live in very cold climates. On the other hand, 110 volts may be good for those living in areas where they don’t experience extreme cold.
But if you don’t have electricity, you don’t have to go through the stress of wiring your shed. You can buy Kerosene or Propane heaters, they’re also good but you required carefulness to operate them.
They are cheap but have a higher fire risk and remember you will need very good ventilation because of carbon monoxide emission. Please never your gas heater or kerosene heater unattended.
Shed Heat Cost?
Though some people may argue till tomorrow that a gas heater or kerosene heater is cheaper than an electric heater. Well, to me it is the other way round.
An electric heater is safer and cheaper to run because most of the electric heaters in the market now come with an inbuilt thermostat, Eco mode, and timer especially oil filled radiator heater to reduce your energy bills and they’re maintenance-free.
Even if you buy gas or a kerosene heater, in the long run, you will find out that both the refilling and maintenance have covered twice the money for an electric heater.
But the only benefit of propane or kerosene heater over electric heater is that gas heater/kerosene heater can be used everywhere whether electricity or no electricity because it does not require electricity to run and no fear of power outage.
Or you can buy a solar-powered heater in your shed to reduce your electricity bills and support nature by using green energy.
How Much Is Your Budget?
Do you have enough money for the heater? Are you on a tight budget? If you’re on a tight budget, consider buying fan heaters or ceramic heaters, they are the cheapest heater in the market but if you’re on a good budget get oil-fill radiators, infrared heaters, convection heaters, pellet stove, or fireplace.
Always keep all heaters 3 feet away from walls, drapes, furniture, or flammable materials.
Best Heater For A Shed – Buyer’s Guide.
When placing an order for your shed heater. Ensure the unit you’re buying has the following features:
1. Good Heat Output
As the name implies, heaters work to warm up a room or space. You’ll find heaters come in many different sizes, shapes, and styles, with each one having different levels of power and heating output. So, how do you know which one to get? Well, you can go by the wattage or you can go by the BTU (British Thermal Unit) rating.
Most of the heater comes with 3 settings like low, medium, and high heat output especially oil heaters while others come with one setting or two settings. Ensure that the heater you’re buying will heat up your she/space very well.
The wattage is a measure of the amount of power needed to run the heater. The higher the number, the more powerful it is.
The BTU is another way to gauge the output of a heater. This unit of measurement is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 pound of water 1 degree Fahrenheit. In other words, the higher the number, the more heat a heater can provide.
Some of the heaters make a loud noise that can be disturbing when you’re meditation, reading, and sleeping. So if you’re like me that hate noise-making with a passion, look for a heater that operates silently and buy like the ones reviewed above.
Heaters come in many different sizes, shapes, and styles. But, what you want to consider when shopping is how portable a model is.
If you’re looking for a small model, then a tabletop heater is probably the best choice. This type of heater is typically used in smaller sheds or as a supplement to an existing heating system. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a large unit, then a wall heater may be the best choice. This type of heater is usually larger, but can still fit on any flat surface.
If you have in mind moving your heater from one place to another place, kindly consider buying portables like a fan heater or oil-filled radiators that have wheels and handles.
4. Safety Features
Safety features are also important to consider when buying a heater for the shed to avoid or eliminate fire hazards. These days, most heaters are equipped with at least one safety feature to ensure that the heater doesn’t get damaged if it accidentally gets turned on while it’s plugged in or tip over.
You’ll find that some heaters have an auto shut-off switch that automatically turns off the power if it gets too hot. Other models have a built-in temperature sensor, cool to touch exterior, carbon monoxide detector, and flameout sensor. Other features include a thermostat and sturdiness. so that the heater shuts off once the room reaches a certain temperature.
This article best heater for a shed serves as a guide to choosing the best heater for your shed or workshop, so if you consider buying any of the highlighted products above, you would have made the best decision.
We made sure that we present to you the best-accepted heaters after my 48 hours of research. They met all the requirements and features to keep you and your home safe. Good Luck!