As winter approaches, it is only someone who has experienced the bitter winters that can understand the essence of securing a heater for home, bedrooms, family rooms, garages, patio, bathroom, living room, offices and workshops before time.
In this best Space heaters of 2020 complete guide, you will understand different kinds of heaters, how they work and lots of ways to keep yourself, family and pets warm and safe in this winter period.
After our 48 hours of research, we were able to come up with these 10 best heaters that conveniently service home and office right and at the same time reducing your energy bills.
In our picking, we considered performance, design, size, durability, efficient and cost so to present you with the best heater of 2020 that will keep your home and offices cozy and comfy.
However, regardless of the heating option you chose always bear in mind these two important things and must carry them out before purchasing your preferred best heater from our recommendation.
Depending on where you want to place/install the heater make sure they’re well insulated because insulated spaces or rooms save more energy cost than non-insulated.
The second one is to calculate the Btu’s required to heat up your rooms or space especially if your choice of the heater is propane or natural gas type, BTU’s calculation is a must for you.
Our reviews cut across all types of heaters you could find on markets such as Panel or Micathermic Heaters, Fan Heaters, Oil Filled Radiators, Infrared Heaters, Propane Heater, Natural Gas Heaters, Kerosene heaters, Pellet Stove and Ceramic Heaters.
Let’s get started right away!
In A Haste, Check Out These Top Rated Space Heaters Of 2020
Product Brand Product Details
Dr. Infrared Portable Heater, 1500wattz.
It heats Individual
It's energy efficient
It's tip-over/overheat protection
AirChoice, Heater Panel, Wall Mount
24 month guarantee
DeLonghi Oil filled Radiator Heater
Heats full room
ZenglingLiang Convector Heater
Waterproof & Insulated heating body.
24 hours timer
Safety child's lock
Comfortbilt Pellet Stove- HP50 42000BTU
Heats up to 2200sq.ft space
Wireless remote control
Uses battery back up
Mr. Heater MH18B Propane Heater.
Heavy duty safety wire guard
Low oxygen safety shut off.
Four position heating control
Dura Heat DH23043 23,000BTUIndoor Kerosene Heater
No electricity reqired
Operates 8 - 12 hours on one tank of fuel
Mr. Heater Corporation Convection Heater
Heats up to 5000sq.ft
Standing pilot for increase safety.
10ft hose and regulator
No smeel or fumes
Trustech 2 in 1 Portable Personal Electric Fan Heater
2 in 1 appliance (heats & cools)
Multiple heat settings
Mr. Heater F260560 BIG Maxx MHU80NG Natural Gas Heater
Heats up to 2000sq.ft
For use with natural gas
Limited 3 years manufacturers warranty
How Much BTU’s Do You Need To Heat Space?
Yes, before you buy that heater you have been eyeing to buy, kindly check if it is really fine for you so that you don’t regret it at last.
Calculating the total BTU’s of your space is not difficult at all. All you need to do is to measure the length and width of your rooms or space to get it in square feet (Sq.ft).
Divide by 200 and multiply by 9000 if your space is non-insulated or multiply by 6000 if your room is insulated to get the estimated number of BTU’s needed to heat up your space per hour during different temperature conditions.
BTU stands for the ‘British Thermal Unit’, this is the unit used to signify the value of heat that can be produced to heat up a space per hour.
Hence, there are many types of heater, power unit, prices and BTU’s on the market, calculating your space BTU’s become paramount.
How To Calculate Your Space BTU’s?
- Measure the length and width of your space and multiply them out (L x W) to get the total square feet area of your room space.
- Divide your answer in number one above by 200 and multiply whatever figure (answer) you got after division by 9000 for non-insulated space or by 6000 for insulated space. The last figure you got after multiplication becomes the estimated BTU’s required to heat up your room space per hour. Let’s see example below assuming the late and width of your space to be: L = 15ft and W = 15ft
BTU’s = L x W
15ft by 15ft = 225sq.ft
225/200 = 1.125
1.125 x 9000 = 10,125BTU/hr for non isulated room space
BTU’s = 15ft x 15ft = 225sq.ft
225/200 = 1.125
1.125 x 6000 = 6750BTU’s/hr for insulated room space
But if you are like me who likes quick things, you can check out this automatic BTU calculator, it will be of great help to you.
Top 10 Best Space Heaters of 2020 With Comparison Charts.
1. Best Infrared Heater: Dr. Infrared Portable Heater, 1500wattz
This well made infrared heater by Dr. Infrared can never get competitors on the market regarding their mode of operation and energy-saving features.
Infrared heaters are for heating objects in the room instantly instead of the entire air or space making you feel comfortably warm.
It combines PTC and Quartz infrared heating technology to keep you and your household warm throughout the winter without been noisy like the fan heaters while saving on your energy bills. Wow!!! What a heater?
This unit comes with 3 powerful heating settings: Auto, low – 1000w and High – 1500w. The auto energy-saving mode allows you to set your desired temperature from 50.80°F.
Once set, it smartly selects between low and high settings depending on your room temperature. It has a thermostat that also helps to regulate the heater.
You can equally still set it on low or high manually all the time with the help timer.
- Dual heating technology
- 12 hours programmable timer
- High pressure, low noise blower
- UL certified both USA and Canada
- Fastest transfer of heat
- Saves energy bills
- Warms objects not air
- Tip over and overheating protection
- Remote control
- It safe for families with kids and pets.
- It works quietly so sound/noiseless sleep is your portion.
- It has a good heavy cord and a remote control
- It pumps out heat very well to keep you warm.
- It has caster wheels to enable you to move it from to room.
- Do not install them in an empty room because you won’t get the best of your heater. The more objects or items are in the room the better it works.
- It must not be put near the outside wall. If you’re setting it up at a wall, make sure it is an interior room dividing walls. The reason is that close to the outside walls are too cold and it messes with the heater built-in temperature sensor for its built-in thermostat.
Bottom Line: We loved this infrared hater and other people seem to love it too. Aside from oil-filled radiators, this is another safest heater in line to be used indoors safely. They are less likely to cause a fire outbreak. I deal for less insulated areas such as garage, basement, workshop and can equally be used for rooms.
Make sure you also check out our guide to the best space heater for a room.
2. Best Panel Heater: AirChoice, Heater Panel, Wall Mount
If you’re looking for a healthier form of heating without blowing type of heater, then the AirChoice panel heater is excellent for you.
It has a large element that heats up to warm air and thereafter circulates it around the room through convection technology.
Panel heaters are good at heating up a full room without being noise because they have no fan are very efficient like the infrared heater and oil filled heater.
It produces radiant heat from the surface of the panel and heated air will be raised to create convection heated air current for the entire room.
Thus this unit is a good heater with value for money. It is very easy to operate to install and operate and does not get very heat to touch, very safe for your children and pets
- It heats up very fast
- Overheating protection
- Saves energy bills
- Designed with calcium silicate material that is crack resistance
- 24 months guarantee quality assurance from the manufacturers. Simply send them a mail at support[at]airchoiceproduct.com.
- It works with 15amp circuit and plug-in
- It does make noise while working. No sound.
- Installation is straight forward and simple.
- It creates comfortable radiant heat.
- It works well with insulated rooms than non-insulated rooms
- It heats up quickly.
- It does not have a thermostat rather single on/off button.
- You will have to drill hole to install it if you’re installing it over wall tiles.
- You need enough space on the wall to install it at least (2” x 2”) wall space.
Bottom Line: The panel heater type is so good if you’re looking at an energy cost. It saves you a few dollars, lasts longer and does not dry out skin or sinuses like the counterparts. It is ideal for a family room, living room, bedroom, bathroom, and basement.
We have also reviewed the best heater for a shed, so check them out as well.
3. Best Oil Filled Radiator: DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Heater
The DeLonghi ComforTemp portable Oil-Filled radiator heater is ideal for the medium room, large room, bedroom, living room, basement, etc. this makes it efficient for your space.
You can effectively heat your space or room with this unit without being worried about your electric bill as it saves you some dollars by automatically maintaining the optimal room temperature.
Simply push the ComforTemp button. One of the users says it actually saves her $50, unlike the previous heaters she had used.
It has a maximum heating power of 1500watts with a user-friendly control panel and adjustable thermostat and three heat settings (low, high and eco mode) to customize your heating needs.
- Thermal shut off and anti-freezing settings
- Energy cost saving
- Maintenance-free heater
- Oils are permanently sealed, no spilling
- Adjustable thermostat
- Multiple heat settings
- Pre-assembled wheel for easy transportation from one room to another.
- It works silently without the noise because it has no fan but radiates.
- It is easy to move around
- Very little output is needed to be toasty.
- It maintains temperature levels.
- It can still keep you warm like 20mins to 30mins after you shut it off.
- Makes a clicking sound when building up heat.
- It heats up slowly
- They get hot at the exterior
Bottom Line: Oil-filled radiators are good for you if you’re looking for something portable or heater to heat large rooms or central heating or supplementing heating. Ideal for family room, living room, bedroom, basement, enclosed patio, plants and art studio, sheds, etc.
Our handy guide to the Best oil-filled heaters for large rooms features more great products like this.
4. Best Convector Heater: ZenglingLiang Convector Heater
The ZenglingLiang convector heater is ideal for your office, bedroom, dorm, cold camping tent, frozen RV and your bathroom as it is made of waterproof materials and an insulated fined heated body.
This great unit is new on the market. It features overheating protection, which automatically turns off when the heater starts to overheat. It warms up all parts of your body and space around you.
- Waterproof and insulated finned heating body.
- Overheating protection.
- 24 hours timer function.
- Safety child lock.
- Extremely quiet.
- Handle for easy transportation.
- Children cannot mess with your heater settings due to the safety lock.
- You can move it from one room to another
- You can install anywhere including damp areas because of its waterproof feature.
- It does heat up well in a large room and living room. It is for small rooms.
5. Best Pellet Stove: Comfortbilt Pellet Stove- HP50 42000BTU
Looking for a good and value for money Pellet Stove for your existing or new fireplace? Comfortbilt Pellet Stove heater has it all and will give you great joy when using it.
You don’t need to install a fresh air kit before using this great pellet stove from Comfortbilt as it uses house air in recirculating and therefore can be installed as a direct vent through wall.
This unit has a footprint of 22inches in width, 24inches in-depth, 36inches in height and weighs 273 pounds with 84% efficient rating, which is amongst the highest rating in America.
- 42,000BTU and can heat up to 2200sq.ft space.
- Programmable thermostat with powerful blower.
- EPA certified, 110volt 86% burn efficiency.
- Wireless remote control
- Uses battery back up, minimum of 750w. Just make sure it is a sine wave.
- Suitable for alcove installation. All you need to do is to modify the air movement through the stove with the exhaust footage combustion blower.
- 1-year parts warranty of technical assistance from the manufacturers if you purchase this product.
- It can be connected to a wood stove piping ductwork but on air conditioning ductwork.
- It saves you energy bills by automatically heating to the desired temperature and then drops down to level one to maintain a small fire.
- This particular pellet stove does not ship to Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.
Bottom Line: You don’t need a tremendous amount of electricity for the igniter to make the fire numerous times throughout the day with this Pellet Stove. Great for energy saving.
6. Best Propane heater: Mr. Heater MH18B Propane Heater
Mr. Heater MH18B portable heater is the only propane heater we can recommend for our user readers for indoor use.
This is one of the most popular portable propane heater in America with radiant of 4000BTU, 9000BTU and 18000BTU liquid propane heater connecting directly to two 1lb cylinders and is an ideal for heating enclosed spaces like a cabin up to 450sq.ft.
This unit combines radiant heat with convection heat airflow for maximum heating efficiency. It has multiple position heat settings to help you control your comfort level.
- Easy carry handle
- Built-in blower
- Four-position heating control with built-in piezo (Pilot, low, medium and high).
- Dual ceramic burner tiles
- Hose up to 12 feet long
- Porcelain-coated reflector
- Swivel regulator mount
- Low oxygen safety shut off.
- Heavy-duty safety wire guard
- Attached swing – open cylinder hatch doors add extra protection and styling.
- 6-volt adapter is not included in the package you need to buy it separately.
- Connects to propane tank no included.
- This unit does not ship to Canada and Massachusetts.
- It shuts off when the heater operates over 7000ft above sea level.
- It gets hot.
- It does not require electricity to work.
Bottom Line: This is a perfect heater for all indoor and outdoor use. However, don’t forget to use filters with your refillable tank to avoid clog up and carbon monoxide alarm to keep you safe, some users complained of carbon monoxide emission though it does not associate with all production batches. It is ideal for dorm, shed, cabin, den, icing fishing rooms.
7. Best Kerosene Heater: Dura Heat DH23043 23,000BTUIndoor Kerosene Heater
The Dura Heat Kerosene Heater is ideal for non-airtight outbuildings like barns, garages, etc. though the unit was constructed with quality materials to make it perfect for indoor use. Some states in America like California and Massachusetts have prohibited it not to be in the airtight buildings.
So when you want to buy check your state code and the reason why you want to buy it.
Aside from that, the heater projects 23,000BTU’s of heat in a 360-degree radius to heat up a large area. It also has a no-lift heat chamber design that minimizes start-up odor when lightening it.
- New no-lift heat chamber to minimize start odor.
- Operates 8 12 hours on one tank of fuel.
- Project heat in a 360-degree radius.
- Protect grill surrounds hot surface areas.
- No electricity required.
- It is easy to assemble and use.
- Great to have in case of a power outage or emergency situation as it provides both heat and light.
- It puts out a tremendous amount of heat.
- It was a low profile and includes a kerosene fill siphoning tube.
- It is made with a safety shut off, which is very sensitive and bumping the heater will shut it down. This is the best safety measure
- It is prohibited for use in Massachusetts.
- The use of this unit in the airtight building is prohibited in the state of California.
- It smells a little burning kerosene when starting up so you can light it outside for 15mins – 20mins before bringing it indoors.
8. Best Gas Fired Convection Heater: Mr. Heater Corporation Convection Heater
The Mr. Heater Corporation Convection Heater is an ideal heater for your Garage, Workshop, Construction site, as it works well in both ceilings and without ceiling buildings. It heats up fast, simply turn it on and in 10mins time your entire place is warm up.
It does not require electricity to operate but operates up to 29 hours on a 100lb propane tank. It can actually be used indoor because it does not smell but very perfect for outdoors as it heats up a very large space up to 5000sq.ft.
- 75000BTU to 200,000BTU
- Can heat up 5000sq.ft
- Standing pilot for increased safety.
- No electricity required
- It comes with a 10ft hose and regulator and has a P.O.L tank Connection.
- It is easy to assemble and use
- Value for money
- It gives good comfort.
- It heats up fast and lasts longer.
- No smell or fumes.
- It puts out a tremendous amount of heat and heats up very quickly. It can heat up 800sq.ft in 10mins.
- Do not last more than 4 hours on 20lb propane tank except you will build a small single burner forge for it, it can last up to 16 hours. But if you use it on 100lb propane tank as the manufacturers had in mind when producing this unit, it will take you 29 hours.
9. Best Fan Heater: Trustech 2 in 1 Portable Personal Electric Fan Heater
Trustech 2 in 1 portable personal space fan heater is ideal for small rooms and offices. It balances the temperature in your room to achieve the whole room’s consistent and cozy state and saves you more on electricity bills.
Though it has a fan but does not make disturbing noise too much, it blows quietly as claimed by the manufacturers. It heats up fast and keeps every corner of your room warm. It is specially made for indoor use only.
- 2-in-1 heater (heating mode for winter and cooling mode for summer).
- Fast heating.
- Work quietly.
- Automatic overheat system and tip-over protection.
- Multiple heat settings: low 750w & high 1500w for the heater and low 18w & high 24w in summer months.
- ETL certified.
- Portable handle for easy carriage.
- It does not have a thermostat for controlling your desired temperature level.
10. Best Natural Gas Heater: Mr. Heater F260560 BIG Maxx MHU80NG Natural Gas Heater
If you’re looking to turn your garage or barn into a workspace you can use all year round? Then this unit of Mr. Heater Natural Gas Heater is for you. It uses a built-in electric high-velocity fan to pull in cool air into the rear of the heater, across the heat exchanger, then forcing warm air into surrounding areas.
This unit only requires 115V AC power and can be vented vertically or horizontally.
- For use with natural gas
- Heats up to 2000sq.ft
- Spark ignition features a self-diagnostic control module.
- Includes 2 angle brackets for ceiling mount.
- Low profile design and can be installed in low ceiling buildings.
- Minimum of 8ft clearance from floor to the base of heater required.
- 1/2inch gas connection.
- Natural gas to liquid propane conversion kit included.
- It requires low voltage to operate
- Easy to install
- Ideal for non-insulated shops or buildings.
- Pumps out heat well.
- Limited 3 years manufacturers warranty on parts and burns.
- The thermostat is purchased separately
Types of Space Heaters
There are many types of heaters on the market for different scenarios or needs, and choosing the right heater that matches your needs will save you lots of costs to buy or run.
Under this category, you will find ceramic heaters and electric fan heaters. They are the least expensive heaters on the market and they provide instant heat and are very portable.
You can use them for short term and less efficient than all other types of heaters but have cool to touch exterior. Perfect for producing instant heat in the bedroom, office, sunroom, etc.
Oil Filled Radiators
They are also known as oil heaters or column heater. Though they are filled with oil, it is electrically heated and does not involve burning of oil, fuel or gas. The oil inside it serves as a heat reservoir.
Oil-filled radiator produces radiant and is most favored on the market due to their efficiency, safety, remote, thermostat and caster wheel features found in them.
They operate without being noisy because they have no fan in them but heats up slowly and maintains a longer temperature when heated up finally. It perfect for in use family room, living room, basement, library, bedrooms, etc.
They are simply panel heaters and are wall-mounted. They are reasonable to run and safe to use at home due to the convective heat they give out, Mica heaters are noiseless, cool to touch and energy efficiency. Ideal for living room, family room, bedroom, bathroom, basement, and Campers.
Wood heaters give out a fantastic, cozy, radiant heat but required a steady supply of fuel and cleaning to keep them operating.
Gas and Liquid Fuel Heaters
These heaters burn natural gases, propane, and kerosene to warm infrared emitters that project energy. They’re ideal for construction sites, garage or workshop.
Under this category, you will find quartz and radiant heaters. These heaters pass electricity through a conductive wire, heating it. They emit infrared rays, which transfers to a solid surface (objects) rather than the surrounding air. Works well in open spaces, non-insulated and insulated buildings.
How To Choose The Right Heater For Your Space
Image Heater Types
How It Works
Air is heated by an efficient Ceramic heating element and circulated around the room by a fan.
Personal small area heater.
Cool to touch exterior.
Compact portable heater.
Air is heated by a coiled metal heating element and circulated around the room by a fan.
Personal small area heater.
Cool to touch exterior.
Compact portable heater.
Large heating element warm the air and circulate it around the room through convection.
Full room heat.
Silent, no fan
Glowing heating elements focus sun like rays directly at the person. it heats you and not the surrounding.
Silent, no fan
Utility Air is heated by a coiled metal heating element and circulated in the roo by a fan.
Durable metal housing.
Small area heater
How Does Heater Works?
No matter the kind of heater you have in mind to buy, they can only fall into 2 working categories, which includes:
The heater radiant and quartz infrared heaters. These heaters are the best, safest and energy-efficient heaters you could find on the market. They work in the same way the sun does.
The heat radiation they produce is absorbed directly by objects, clothing, and skin without first heating the air in a space.
These make them suitable for warming up people in poorly insulated rooms or outdoors and allow distance between people and heaters.
Examples of heaters under these categories are quartz infrared heaters, gas heaters, floor heaters, and Micathermic heaters.
Most heaters used in residential buildings are constructed to work in a convection way. Heaters in this category use air convection currents to generate and spread heating. These currents circulate throughout the appliance and across its heating elements.
They heat up the air and cause air molecules to increase in volume and rise. As these heated are molecules rise, they will displace room temperature air molecules and cause them to move near the heating appliances.
Examples of heater found under these categories are oil-filled radiator, ceramic heaters, furnace heaters, fan heaters, and water heater. They provide constant and diffuse heat to well-insulated rooms.
Best Space Heater – Buying Guide
Now there are important factors you need to consider before buying a heater for home, offices, garage or workshop. Let’s look into them one after another.
1. Size of Your Space: Having an idea about the size of your room or office will give you an idea of the watt or BTU heater capacity you will buy.
We have explained in detail earlier on this article how you can calculate your BTU’s for your room but for the wattage, for each 1sq.ft room requires 10watt to heat up.
So you can use this formula to find the required power/BTU’s to heat up your space.
2. Fueling Option: How will you want to power the heater after buying it? Is it by electricity or propane?
If your state always has a constant power supply, you can consider buying electric heaters but if your state is not always on the constant power supply, then you can consider buying propane or kerosene heaters.
But if you have children around, propane might be risky for you.
3. Space: Do you have a big space or a small space for the installation? If you don’t have enough space, you consider buying wall-mounted, ceiling or floor heater but if you have enough, you can go for freestanding because they also advantage of moving them from one room to another room depending on your choice.
In addition to this if you want something aesthetics, then you consider buying pellet stoves or mica (panel) heaters.
4. Cost: Do you have enough budgets to invest in a heater that lasts longer for? Or do you want instant gratification heaters like fan heaters? If you’re on a tight budget, you can consider buying fan heaters but they don’t last long.
If you’re on a medium budget, you can go oil filled radiator, Micathermic (panel) heaters, convector heaters but if you have enough budget and need something aesthetic, why not? Pellet stove is for you.
5. Other Features To consider: Built-in thermostat, adjustable fan, remote control, cool to touch exterior like fan heaters, overheating and tip-over protection, timer, LED panel and caster wheels for easy movement.
Best Space Heaters – Frequently Ask Questions
What heater is the most energy efficien?
All heaters have their pros and cons but if you actually needs energy efficient heater to use in your home or offices. Then consider infrared heaters, oil filled radiator, Micathermic heaters.
What heaters are cheap to buy?
If you’re on tight budget and needed an affordable heater, then consider buying electric fan heaters. They are the best affordable and budget friendly heaters on the market.
What heaters are to leave on Overnight?
Though it is not advisable to leave heater on unattended but peradventure that happens, leaving it overnight. Dear you can consider buying oil filled radiators. Oil filled radiators are less likely to cause fire hazards. Just be sure that the oil filled heater you’re buying have overheating protection, tip over protection and the built-in thermostat and also be sure not to leave anything flammable closer to it.
Why do heaters smell?
If you smell burning, when the heater is turned on, then something is burning, check it very well. But if it is a brand new heater that smells when you turned it on first, then it is the preservative oil or something, so no problem about that but if it is dirty, a bug or something else, then you should unplug it and clean it thoroughly before turning it on again.
Why do heaters dry the air?
Well heater does not dry the air but a room with heater in it has exactly the same amount of moisture, it just feels drier. Reason being that the warm air can evaporate and hold more moisture than cold air. If you’re in a cold room, there isn’t moisture in the air but it’s evaporating from your skin, eyes, sinuses etc. If you warm the room up, there’s still not much moisture but the warmer air dries you out much faster.
How do I make my room less dry?
The humidity in your air is very important to your health throughout the year as the dry in your room has been known as a risk factor to developing respiratory problem and it claims to make you to catch cold or flu. However, to make your room less dry is very simple and easy to do. Just consider buying a humidifier or if you’re on a tight budget, then consider doing it yourself by placing a basin of water closer to the heater source, the vapor will give your room more moist or keep water boiling on fire to increase the vapor thus making more moisture in the air.
WARNING! Always keep all heaters 3 feet away from wall, drapes, furniture or inflammable materials.
Knowing the size of your room or space, fueling option and buying a good heater will save you a lot of cost and headache.
Be sure to choose the right heater that will keep your home or office cozy and comfy this winter.
This article best space heaters of 2020 is a guide to choosing your best for your bedroom, family room, living room, garage, workshop, construction site, bathroom, sheds, dorm, den, travel trailer, RV, camping tent, Nursery, and newborn babies room.
So if you consider buying any of the highlighted products above, you would have made the best decision.
For your questions, suggestions, opinions, comments or share your reviews from products you have used you want us to review on our website and products you have purchased through our website.
Kindly contact us here or comment on the comment section.